Wednesday

Books I've Bought This Month

Alright, I'm trying to calm down. So far:
The Open Curtain by Brian Evenson (we snagged him for NC1, he's a master)
Infinite Jest by DFW (I know I'm behind)
The Wavering Knife by Brian Evenson
The Angle of Yaw by Ben Lerner
Epigraph by Gordon Lish
Stories in the Worst Way by Gary Lutz
In The Blind by Eugene Marten (his other book, Waste, is incredible)
The Battlefield Where the Moon Says I Love You by Frank Stanford (deep in already, wow)
Give + Take by Stona Fitch (Concord Free Press is giving this away free)
Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino
Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis
Godel, Escher, Bach by Douglas R. Hofstadter
Working by Studs Terkel
40 Stories by Donald Barthelme (first three stories are very, very good)
Samedi The Deafness by Jesse Ball (also a wizard in NC1)



NO COLONY, Foodmovies, Sold Out & Writing Mode

So far NO COLONY Volume 2 is shaping up firm like Arnie. I could spout all day about the stories we've gathered, but I'll spare you. Just know: save your Christmas money.

I can't eat pizza anymore. Pizza tastes awful.

Netflix is incredible. I'm conquering the Criterion Collection. Some new favorite (non-Criterion) films: Network. Wow, the dialogue, THE DIALOGUE. I cried happy tears, no joke. Wings of Desire. Peter Falk was the best part of this movie. Some haunting images that I think will stick with me for awhile. Overall, mood and tone dominate. Worth seeing. (though not as good as The In-Laws)

Y2K is officially sold out at Powell's. Thanks to all who bought.

Question: Do you write fiction/poetry by hand or with a word processor? Get specific in the comments section. I'm going to start writing by hand, to change it up a bit. My hand will slow me down, but maybe that's good? Haven't been writing lately, anyway. Words, hundred words, then twenty words, then six words, hopefully words will pile into novels. I should start writing every day.

The days are long.

8 comments:

wagner israel cilio iii said...

i went to the frank standford literary festival a few months ago. 'battlefield' was on sale but i chose 'you' which was only $5 cheaper than 'battlefield'. i definitely copped out. in any case, i am really regretting not getting it since it supposed to be mind-blowing.

i started reading 'godel' again today. i am stuck on chapter 4. i feel insane when i read it. i feel like i am drugs when i read it. i feel like i am peeking around a corner at things when i read it. how far are you?

also: i recently started writing by hand. i feel like there is something more that comes through when i write by hand. i feel like i own the words because i own the font, in a way. i have definitely noticed my writing slowing down and getting more precise. i like the permanence of writing on paper. i feel like one day aliens will read it and think i am a genius because it will be the only preservable text in the future on account of word processors and hard drives. this is important i believe and is high up on my list or priorities.

DB said...

i usually write in ms word, sometimes directly into my blog. occasionally, i'll write by hand, but not very often. writing by hand usually makes me approach writing differently. it's good for a change up.

Matt DeBenedictis said...

I write on paper. I find paper to be rough, a place where form doesn't matter only letting the ideas and anger ooze fast. I only take the words to Word when it's time to edit, to be cold, harsh and to think of form, how the piece will be read. The computer is a cold place for me, when I stare at it I feel my own imagination blank out.

DB said...

oh and also go to hell, ken. pizza is amazing.

Ken Baumann said...

pizza is death

Ken Baumann said...

matt: i think i'm starting to agree

Gallimaufry Girl said...

Working by Terkel is amazing. I really enjoy oral histories. Glad to hear about the popularity of Y2K! Mine has taken up residence on the shelf above my desk. I can see it as I am writing these words.

In regards to writing, I tend to write on my computer (just because it seems like a waste of paper and an annoyance to rewrite physically), sometimes directly to my blog, but sometimes I am just in the mood to have that tactile experience, so I write on actual paper. Typewriters are fun, too! You should write everyday, even if it is just for fifteen minutes. It makes writing the next day so much less intimidating. :)

P. H. M. said...

I used to have a "process." I wrote novels this way, no I'm serious. I would not consider anything worth publishing unless I had written it by hand first. Now I'm too lazy for all that. But I have boxes of old handwritten writing, and sometimes it makes me feel good to read them.