Saturday

David

I wrote three paragraphs about David Foster Wallace's death, my thoughts on suicide & and the writing community, then deleted them. Here is what I'll say instead: David Foster Wallace was a writer, a human. He was loved. He is gone. I feel compassion to those close to him in any way. I've noticed some people that are markedly indifferent to his death, and I say to them: IT IS OKAY TO FEEL.



Motivation, Inspiration & Surrealism

Blake and Shane talked about motivation, creation, death, people, surrealism. Their conversation got me thinking. I want to say this: I believe that everything is cyclical. Motivation, inspiration, relationships, everything. Giant loops. Keeping track of yourself on the loop is the hard part. Sometimes you can work really hard to jump to another portion of the loop, I think. Sometimes you're stuck. I feel comfortable knowing that I'm constantly moving towards something else.

I've watched the trailer to Synechdoche, New York about ten times. It's inspired me, I feel like something is welling up. This feeling, the hum before a huge idea is such a good high.

Regarding surrealism: surrealism is an -ism. I really dislike isms, genres, labels. They're not necessary. They muddy things, force you into an assumption about something creative, which always sets you up for some kind of failure, small or large and sometimes total. Some of my favorite stories feel surreal, they feel magical, they feel like fantasy or nightmare or feel so real you are moved to the other side of the room, but I would prefer not to attach them to an ism. I think the most common thread that keeps me pulled is STORY. I've rarely loved literature that doesn't dive and move and come back up again. I think some sort of journey is important, be it emotional or physical, internal or external. I want to experience CHANGE in art. If nothing changes, if there is no total masterminded direction, then I feel empty. I can't think of an exception. Related: Joseph Campbell (who's face reminds me of David Lynch)

Blake and Shane are both self-aware, nice, intelligent, talented guys. Do yourself a favor and read their blogs, read their stories & talk to them.



Blog Changes

I've made the font larger. Hopefully it'll be easier to read. Everything that I've created on the internet that I'm proud of has been added to the right side of the page. I added my email address. The list of people on the right has changed, I've removed about half of the blogs that I don't read anymore. I'm trying to refocus this blog, make my posts longer and more thoughtful, remove clutter. So much digital clutter. Which reminds me:



Prompt

REFOCUS

9 comments:

BLAKE BUTLER said...

i like this

yes that trailer looks amazing. Phillip Hoffman yes.

Important-Ass News said...

This just in:

David Foster Wallace. RIP.
Blink-182.

Mike z said...

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/ballast/

Ken Baumann said...

mike: hmm, yes, i really want to see it

sam pink said...

ken baumann is gangtight and his word is bond.

Josh Maday said...

good post, ken. right on about cycles/the loop. i agree. i move on a cycle where i feel energized to write, times when reading is all, and times in the desert where everything feels desolate and dry, and then i feel reborn.

Important-Ass News said...

this just in:

ken baumann. actor?

important ass news. reporters. damn fine ones.

Ken Baumann said...

sam: dead on. same for you. thuglyfe.

josh: thank you. i'm close to that cycle.

IAN: yes. good reporting.

Gallimaufry Girl said...

Synedoche looks quite good. Hoffman is a talented man. As does Ballast. Though quite different.

I'm taking a screenwriting class at with Ali Selim who write and directed Sweet Land (2005) and at the end of October, Lance Hammer, who wrote and directed Ballast is coming in to talk to our class about his experience and process. I was quite surprised when Ali announced that this evening. Quite excited as well.