Sunday

The Much Talked About 'Big News'


Okay. So I'm finally in the clear in a legal sense to divulge the promised information: I've optioned the film rights to Log of the S.S. The Mrs Unguentine by Stanley Crawford, and will be writing the screenplay.

A little back story: On recommendation of Blake Butler and others, I bought the book. As soon as it arrived in the mail I sat with it. I read it in two (unfortunately two -- it would have been one if not for having to drive somewhere) sittings, and from really what was the fifth page in it began to percolate and pool within me. I was viscerally struck. Less than halfway inside I began to think 'This would make a beautiful film.' A few moments after I finished reading I felt I had to bring the story to a wide audience and a new medium. Patrick Welborn, my friend and agent, read the book and agreed. And now I, with the help of many many others, will do just that.

I have to thank a few people for bringing me this far: Blake! Thank you. I cannot thank you enough, really. I think you're a brilliant and hardworking artist, a wonderful friend, and a diligent and kind patron of the arts and artists. Patrick! Nobody works harder for me and mine. We've got a long road ahead of us, and I couldn't find a better partner. Stanley! Thank you for encouraging my folly. And everyone else! Hey! Thank you for the support. I fully expect you to nag me and question how I'm doing with the process. Hold me responsible for the cinematic parenthood of this wonderful story. I'd like the pressure.

Alright. That's all for now.

More info about Log here.

23 comments:

Gallimaufry Girl said...

This is wonderful! I haven't read the book but it sounds incredibly interesting. Screenwriting is really fun and challenging. Best of luck. Look forward to seeing it in a theater near me. :)

jenne said...

Congratulations - that is fabulous! wishing you all the best with that!

Michael Kimball said...

Great news, congratulations. I've been watching it in my head for years, glad I'll finally get to see it on the screen.

Evan Lavender-Smith said...

This is amazing news, Ken. I love that book. Congratulations.

Josh Maday said...

Oh hell yeah. Congrats, Ken. Can't wait.

Derek White said...

Wow, that's awesome. Cant wait to see/hear it. Kathy Bates as the Mrs? Or are you thinking more like Ellen Burstyn? Can it be done without voice over?

colin bassett said...

this is exciting

good job, ken

Ken Baumann said...

Joanna, Jenne, Michael, Evan, Josh, Derek & Colin: Thank you so much for your kindness and support.

Oh, and Derek: I sent you a Facebook message.

Ben Spivey said...

Looking forward. I just ordered a copy of the book. Congratulations.

Matt Bell said...

That's awesome, Ken! I loved that book, and can't wait to see your version-- Good luck with the screenplay!

Ken Baumann said...

Ben & Matt: Thank you!

Steve said...

Great news, and a great book - can't wait to see what happens.

Ken Baumann said...

Steve: Thank you for blogging about it, as well!

christopher higgs said...

I'm late to congratulate you, Ken! Hopefully you won't let my tardiness tarnish my sincerity.

I predict you will win the Waldo Salt award at Sundance.

Ken Baumann said...

Thank you so much, Christopher.

I really like that prediction.

Emanuela said...

congratulations!I hope to see it soon in theater...I am sure you will be doing an excellent job.good job ken :)

Ben Brooks said...

This is very exciting.
I will order the book now.
I will order the book with money that should be spent on dog food.

jillian clark said...

thank you, i appreciate it

Em said...

holy mackerel. i haven't been this excited since i wrote the screenplay for voyage of the mimi. just kidding, that did not happen.

but congratulations, it's a phenomenal piece to work with.

Anonymous said...

ew, there's melted chocolate on my laptop mouse

i saw you in a commercial for your show in the movie theater yesterday and yelled, "it's kenny!!!"

Ken Baumann said...

Emanuela, Ben, Jillian, Em & Gena: Thank you for your support.

Unknown said...

May your vision come to our vision soon! Best of luck and joy in the process!

jamie said...

i adore you. (: