Tuesday

On Ever


I'm going to begin and end this review with this recommendation: Buy and read EVER by Blake Butler.

Here is why, and briefly:

EVER is a story of mud and light and houses and metaphysical shifts in conscious, shifts in body and being and time. EVER is a story that leaves you feeling bruised and emotional and larger than you were before.

Blake Butler's sentences are often better and more pleasing than those of Lutz, McCarthy & to those of Williams and Lish. I feel Butler's sentences have a more aggressive sonic imperative. As you read, you really are (to use one of EVER's frequent words) slushed along by sentences heavily marked by S's. And when Butler reverts to a sonically dull sentence, often containing the most poignant/banal remark, the words hit you that much harder, because of the impact of all contained behind that sentence slamming forward into you. And when the tone and composition of the sentences and paragraphs shifts, you feel it. It's a visceral change.

The ideas contained in EVER expanded my thought on words, on lyricism and style, on literature. EVER is affective and brutal and beautiful. EVER is a highly creative work that truly feels original, feels new.

Buy and read EVER by Blake Butler.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should go to awp

* said...

"And when Butler reverts to a sonically dull sentence, often containing the most poignant/banal remark, the words hit you that much harder, because of the impact of all contained behind that sentence slamming forward into you."

It does often feel like he's suddenly stalled you in front of an oncoming train. Nice words.

DB said...

if you go to awp i am bring my television so you can sign the screen.

Michael Kimball said...

I agree.

Ken Baumann said...

gena: I will try.

*: Train? Yes.

Daniel: Can I kick my foot through it? And then drive a motorcycle in a hotel hallway?

Michael: I'm glad I touched on something.